Wednesday 12 August 2015

12 August : White


It is the turn of the White Guard next. I am a bit wary of this crew ever since I tried to buy some white summer stocks in a local supermarket and the lady at the till gave me a lecture on looking after the flowers so that they lasted as long as possible. I tried to lighten the mood by mentioning that I had some lovely apricot roses in my garden but this was obviously a faux pas because she looked appalled and said "I only have white flowers in my garden. White. Nothing but white". There was the slightest hint of mania in her eyes so I didn't make my quip about Dentist-hurst.


You will be interested to note that white Nemesia that smells of vanilla was reprieved, split up from its chums on the windowsill and made to sit in a shady place where the fragrance would not be so overpowering. As a result it has worked hard all summer and now has a Certificate of Commendation. Well done Nemesia!


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I just wish there was some sunshine so I could sit outside and enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. I now have an image of you awarding certificates to all your best students, I mean plants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all proper gardeners personify their plants. An all white garden is very difficult to do. Just look at the flak Sissighurst's White garden receives when 'plants people' (I am so not one of those) visit when it's having an 'off' week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you have to space and the resources to do it well a white garden looks fabulous but as in Sissinghurst it works best as a contrast to areas of rich colour. In a small garden where all other colour is excluded I suspect it would look just as clinical as all white decorating schemes in a house.

      Delete
  4. Please can you tell me the name of the white flower with the yellow central marking in your first photo - so compact and attractive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Nierembergia Mont Blanc. It was one of my bargain plants and so I am waiting to see how it bulks up. The flowers are very charming - bright white with egg yellow centres above thin grey green foliage. I suspect that it will not be frost hardy but I might try it in a mixed patio planter.

      Delete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.