Saturday 12 March 2016

11 March : Out of Office


Ternate, Tidore and Moti
Pencil sketch by Alfred Russel Wallace
© A. R. Wallace Memorial Fund

We are standing in front of a map and the Head of the Research Group says "I am surprised you don't know where Tidore is because there is a picture of it on the thousand rupiah note. It is one of a pair of islands in the Maluku archipelago and I think it is my favourite volcano. Almost a perfect cone. Also, it is the home of the clove."  The window into far away worlds has reopened.

4 comments:

  1. I am ashamed not to have a favourite volcano........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite volcano is Etna but I realise that is so last year.

      Delete
  2. I tried not to look appallingly ignorant. And failed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard of none of those...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.