Friday 16 October 2015

16 Oct : Journey


We drove to Bideford today by the back lanes, just the satnav and me. It is a secret pleasure, this handing over of responsibility, so that I can concentrate on the driving. Sometimes it is a route I would have chosen but quite often we go down the side roads, through little hamlets that I did not know existed. I glimpsed church towers through field gates, a road side stall filled with home made jam and chutney, old avenues of trees, tiny stone bridges, a cow and calf in a field beside a stream, a mossy water wheel turning and everywhere the trees turning the colours of autumn. These small joys are worth the occasional moments of panic when the road seems too narrow or apparently turns in the wrong direction and I must remind myself to have faith. We make a good team, the satnav and me.

4 comments:

  1. I do this sometimes too - take a turning that is new to me - you never know what you might find - we have to take our pleasures where we can find them eh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love doing just that . It is so easy to drive down the same road year after year and then discover a pretty side road which you could have been using all that time.

      Delete
  2. Your satnav is obviously a trustworthy friend. Ours is tricksy and capricious, and I'd rather use a map.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have discovered that it is very difficult to drive and read a map so prefer the satnav when I am driving by myself but love navigating when I am the passenger.

      Delete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.