Friday 9 October 2015

9 Oct : The Old Country House


This is The Old Country House near Malvern, a magical place to stay for a couple of nights. It is hidden down a tiny lane and you can feel the anxiety of the satnav at every twist and turn. Inside the house is as welcoming as you could wish, a huge polished circular table for breakfast, soft beds with old Welsh blankets and comfortable sofas in front of an apple wood fire.



Outside you push open the garden gates to step into an Enid Blyton world, full of secret places, mysterious paths and trees to climb. There are ancient barns, paved courtyards and a dark pond large enough for a small boat. A magnificent vine clambers over the west range of buildings and the border in front of the house is thick with hellebore. Winter cyclamen cover the ground under the trees and I am told that there are drifts of snowdrops waiting for spring. All of these were planted many years ago and left to spread undisturbed.



The family who have owned The Old Country House since the 1930s have developed their buildings, old orchards and land into a special place for wildlife and there is a programme of walks and talks throughout the year which reflect their committed stewardship. Ella has a particular interest in wild space gardening which she has used very successfully in a new garden nearby.


I explored the garden late in the evening, feeling an intruder into such a private space but determined to learn as much as possible. The young gardener was clearing an ancient stone trough and he paused, lifted his wide brimmed black hat and considered me carefully. "We have all sorts come to visit, even people from the National Trust, and it makes me nervous to hear what they say. They say that that they can see that it has a lot of potential but I know they don't understand how special it is. You have to understand a garden like this - you can't put back what you take out." 


8 comments:

  1. Wise words from the young gardener. What a wonderful-looking place (house and garden).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a fascinating person and when I looked around the garden I could see evidence of his respectful approach combined with Ella's profound knowledge of the planting.

      Delete
  2. Love it....my very favorite garden to wander about of an afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the perfect garden for young children to explore and play hide and seek in.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I fell in love with it and hope to go back in the spring to see the snowdrops.

      Delete
  4. This looks absolutely beautiful. I'll add it to my 'places I'd love to stay when I don't have to take kids' list. perhaps one day... Love your flower photos, I've now googled Knighthayes Court to see what the house looks like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were visiting Malvern because we had hired a Morgan sports car for the day - a thrilling experience which I highly recommend. It only has two seats so you will definitely have to wait until the children are otherwise occupied.

      Knightshayes is Pugin meets Scottish Baronial, A fascinating glimpse into the most extravagant aspirations of a Victorian industrialist. The landscape, woodland garden and the kitchen garden are all magnificent.

      Delete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.