Saturday 24 October 2015

23 Oct : St. Paul's Churchyard







St. Paul's Churchyard is a garden in the heart of a city, laid out on the area of medieval cathedral which was destroyed by the Great Fire of London in 1666. It is not a tranquil space because it is filled with the bustle of city life but you can step away from the traffic and sit for a moment. On the south side there are formal plantings, water features and statuary but it is the north side that visitors seek, a secret garden between the Cathedral and skyscrapers, trees leaning against the massive walls. In the midst of the excited chatter of tourists, the sound of city sirens and rattle of skateboards I watched a little girl stand completely still and coax a squirrel to feed from her hand, welcome silence in a noisy day.

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. A peaceful garden in the middle of London - what could be nicer?

      Delete
  2. About six months ago on a beautiful blue sky day I sat here and ate my picnic after visiting the Sonia Delaunay exhibition at Tate Modern. I think the white wisteria which twines round the railings on the sunny south side was just coming out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely image - I immediately want white wisteria twining around railings in my garden!

      Delete
  3. I love to walk over the bridge from Tate Modern towards St Pauls. It's one of my favourite views of London and we have a big photo of it hanging above a fireplace. I think you have to make your own tranquil moments in London as everyone is rushing, rushing and there's always noise. It's essential to stop and watch the world sometimes. Children are usually much better at doing this than adults.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't very often go to the City and so I am more likely to lose my way but it is always a thrill when you turn a corner and see that magnificent dome.

      Delete
  4. I have never been to St Paul's so was unaware that there were gardens!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.