Wednesday 15 February 2017

bitter sweet


Can I tempt you to a slice of treacle tart? I realise that it may not be featured in the index of your healthy living bible but I could cut a very tiny slice so that you can inhale it. I am not sure if you can inhale clotted cream - that could get a bit messy - so I'm afraid you may have to do without that.

This is my treacle tart recipe, inherited from my mother, but includes the bitter zest and juice of seville oranges giving it a delicious burnt caramel flavour. I got this idea from Jo Clark at Notes from a Sussex Kitchen - I love Jo's passion for cooking and her inventive use of seasonal ingredients which feature on her blog and inspirational instagram account.

MrM was happy to have another helping but MissM was not convinced "It tastes nice but I prefer Grandma's treacle tart." Fair enough.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, but no, I have never liked them after tasting a small amount as a child and found it far too sweet.

    Did you happen to hear The Food Programme on Sunday/Monday? That was all about citrus. You can hear it in the link or download it as a podcast [whatever that is]. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08dmr07

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.