Tuesday 21 February 2017

picking up stitches


So, I started knitting again. Picking up where you left off isn't quite as straightforward as it sounds because there is the phase when you think about possibly restarting and then get distracted. Next you have to work up the courage to open the bag, pull it out and try to remember where you are which is always too difficult and so it goes back in the bag. Time passes and then you get exasperated with yourself and at this point I imagine Monica pointing to her pile of completed projects and telling me not be a wimp which is a surprisingly effective motivational strategy. Of course you still can't remember where you are in the pattern so you start at the wrong place and have to rip out your first two rows and you almost stop again. If you can overcome this period of frustration you are finally on your way to rediscovering the joy of knitting, sitting in front of the fire gradually covering your knees with a soft aran throw worked to a pattern gifted by the lovely Kristina.

11 comments:

  1. knitting in front of a fire ? what took you so long?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bow low - I am Queen of the Procrastinators.

      Delete
  2. The mention of Kristina made me think of lovely friends who touch our lives briefly. I had such a lovely day with her the last time I saw her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful comment and it is true I have been amazed at how strong friendships formed through blogging are.

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see the blanket and such a cozy project to do by the fire! After two years working full-time, I'm finally working part-time from home again, which is such a big relief...and hopefully means more time for knitting...and maybe a meet up too? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kristina!! How lovely to hear from you and yes I would definitely like to meet up - especially if we can visit one of the fab cafes that only you seem to know about. I'm going to email you!!

      Delete
  4. your photo is so lovely, it makes me long for winter. and the joy of knitting ... yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words but honestly I can't long for winter - we are only just coming to the end of it and enjoying the first signs of spring.

      Delete
  5. ... oh well I'm blushing here... (don't tell anybody that I have a pile of started-not-quite-finished project too...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dread to think how many things I have on hand. Well done for being brave.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.