Wednesday 1 February 2017

silence


It is foggy here on the Isle of Wight, my home for the next few days, and at night I can hear the fog horn booming which is curiously comforting - an auditory memory from a childhood by the sea. The fog creates a sense of being cocooned, separated from the world, which is appropriate because I am at Quarr Abbey on retreat. It is a chance to read, write and reflect and I am very grateful to the monks for this opportunity to experience silence in a noisy world.

6 comments:

  1. Enjoy your retreat. Sounds lovely. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely - thank you - a luxury that I hope to repeat in the future.

      Delete
  2. This sounds a wonderful chance to recharge and refresh. I envy you the fog and the foghorn, both of which I enjoy enormously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The foghorn was mingled with the sound of the cloister bell. Very surreal.

      Delete
  3. Have been thinking of you and envying that space and silence and time away from the world and its worries. Have a special week and hope you have thick fluffy bed socks xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was lovely to escape for a while accompanied by my trusty hot water bottle and plaid rug. Now that I am back I feel as though I have a reservoir of silence inside me that I can draw on in an emergency.

      Delete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.