Friday 19 June 2015

19 May : Lupins


When we moved into this house the next door garden had a huge, spectacular bed of blue and pink lupins that I could see from an upstairs window. I think now that they might have been old type lupins predating the Russell strain because the house had belonged to an elderly lady called Mrs Moth. The new owners built an extension over the bed of lupins and they have not been seen since. I have tried to grow lupins in my garden every year since and failed. This year I grew the lupins in large pots and they have been very happy. The first flower spikes were knocked about by the high winds but I cut them back and new spikes keep appearing which is very satisfying. I've made my peace with lupins and might grow them again next year. On the other hand I fancy some lovely tall white delphiniums. Watch this space.

1 comment:

  1. I always attract woolly aphids if I try growing Lupins, so don't do it now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.