Monday 18 May 2015

17 May : Rosebuds

I'm taking bets on the first rose to bloom. The normally reliable pinks Dr W.van Fleet and Constance Spry are a little behind the pace. Ivory Boule du Neige is recovering from a drastic winter pruning but making valiant attempts to keep up with the field. New entrant is the Queen of Sweden with well rotted manure as performance enhancer. Outsiders include white Iceberg and the lovely apricot rose which I do not know the name of but the carmine Zephirine Drouhin appears to have died so there will need to be an inquest and much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Top favourite to win is Abi's pink rose - a wonderful, vigorous, much treasured bush. I will report back.

6 comments:

  1. It's a race between Highgrove and Vielchneblau here, Tess of the D, William S, Winchester C, Evelyn, Beatrix P, Olivia A , Lady S all having a lie in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Idle literary types. I will say no more.

      Delete
  2. Hello Alice. I came here via Cornflower, who also kindly gave my Friday post a mention, and have just read through your posts. Love your photos and writing style and look forward to following. Very best wishes, Sam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sam - thank you for dropping by and introducing yourself. There is lots of room on my garden bench so make yourself comfortable and we can talk plants suitable for coastal plots!

      Delete
  3. Sister Elizabeth [DavidAustin] in full fettle. New plant this xmas;I cut off the first five heads this morning, all ready over, to make confetti. Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know Sister Elizabeth - I am trying to avert my eyes from the David Austin website at the moment but if I put my credit card in another room I might just have a peep.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.