Tuesday 14 July 2015

13 July : Roses


Standing in the garden centre, looking at the dripping roses, trying to get an idea of their fragrance on a warm summer day I am aware that the lady nearby is humming. Humming in public places irritates me. Especially when I am trying to think. I look at her and see that she has dressed up to come to the garden centre on this wet day, pearls are much in evidence. "Isn't it absolutely glorious!" she says, waving her arms to embrace the aisle of David Austin's finest creations. I cannot see past the sogginess but I want to make this lady happy and so I tell her that I went to Mottisfont when the roses were at their peak. "Ah...how fortunate you are...you will always have that...when times are bad you can remember the roses at Mottisfont in June" she says and smiles at me. I watch her walk away, humming, and wonder at the kindness of strangers.

7 comments:

  1. My dad hums and whistles all the time. Drives me bonkers. This lady sounds splendidly individual. What a nice encounter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I whistle when I listen to my iPod. Which is why I never use my iPod on the train.

      Delete
  2. I love the sound of her - that she is so full of beauty and song that it exudes from her. This is the kind of person I would wish to be. The sort who dresses just how she wants to visit the flowers. Happy sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt as though I was in a garden centre remake of 'It's a Wonderful Life"!

      Delete
  3. Her response is a treasure indeed. And evoked by your generosity and restraint
    A lesson there for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am gratified that my guardian angel should be slightly eccentric but love roses and wear pearls. Very classy.

      Delete
  4. I should like to be surrounded by Roses and to wear lots of pearls.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.