Tuesday 21 July 2015

20 July : Begonia


I have a begonia problem. I won it in the raffle at the Village BBQ and it is my own fault because I bought too many tickets in the hope of winning a stuffed monkey for The Little Boy Next Door. Now I have this awful begonia looking hectic in my otherwise serene outdoor space. Please don't tell me that begonias are the new dahlias and that the Sainted Sarah Raven has pronounced that they are de rigeur because I am not ready. I gave it to my mother who 'forgot' to take it home so what on earth am I to do with this orange nightmare? I know it will grow until my eyeballs fall out when I look at it. The only solution that I can think of is to nurture it until it is a thing of wonder and then donate it as a prize for the raffle at the Village Produce Show.

11 comments:

  1. I could use a hectic begonia right about now. One woman's orange nightmare is another woman's jolt of energy and interruptor of grey.

    Love, Scotland in July >;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have it on very good authority that The Heather is about to start flowering. There will be colour in your life!

      Delete
  2. Can't you find someone to give it to? Lynn perhaps?! :-) I would probably compost it as I'm not a fan either...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh dear. I know I shouldn't laugh but.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tsk. You are supposed to be going internet cold turkey. Away with you!

      Delete
  4. we put ours outside the door with Free to a Good Home, and they walked away. Slowly and with difficulty as it was a potted Norfolk pine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant! What an image that conjurs up.

      I am reminded of the time that MasterM and his mates did Christmas in July in Stellenbosch although they needed a pickup truck for their 'Christmas Tree'.

      Delete
  5. I see a random act of kindness in your future. Drive around your neighbourhood until you find a garden filled with orange. Then simply place the begonia on the step and leave, knowing it will bring that person a small burst of orange joy xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered about smuggling it into a garden centre and then abandoning it. Your idea is so much nicer because you are a nicer person than me.

      Delete
  6. I would have composted it. I really dislike them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.