Thursday 16 July 2015

16 July : Of Gazanias


I am not sure that Gazania is the sort of plant that respectable gardeners grow but this little firework is at the front of my late summer gold and blue border trying to look understated next to the Montbretia. I am crushing on Christopher Lloyd of Great Dixter at the moment and he loved Gazanias describing them as 'the very essence of summer'. Somebody has generously donated an entire library of Christopher Lloyd books in pristine condition to our local hospice shop and they have all come home with me. In 'The Well-Tempered Garden' he yanks out an apricot-orange primula seedling which clashes unpleasantly with pinky-mauve osteospermums. That's my sort of gardening, I thought, and immediately felt less guilty about my secateur attack on the pale pink hardy geranium which was flowering uncomfortably close to the Gazania making my eyes itch. It should have got its act together in June when the early summer pink and blue border was at its height.

Advised by Kind Reader that the photo is Not a Gazania. Collapse of Stout Party.

8 comments:

  1. I'm growing snapdragons in all sorts of garish colours because they remind me of my grandma, and they're definitely not de rigueur. 'The Well Tempered Garden' is indeed a very fine read and I totally agree with Christopher Lloyd's approach to gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore his witty, irreverent and non-conventional approach to gardening. I am rather terrified by the serious, hard working horticulturalists so it is a relief to know that it is permissible to be frivolous.

      (see below...the shame of it!!)

      Delete
    2. PS my garden isn't serious, hard work, or horticultural ...

      Delete
  2. your picture, is a blanket flower.
    http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-dictionary/perennial/blanket-flower/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! I am mortified. I will go and do an hours weeding as a penance.

      Delete
    2. aww,
      Blanket flower is a beauty in its own right. I know it from American garden bloggers who cherish it!

      Delete
  3. It is still a pretty flower, don't beat yourself up about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much that I don't know I try to be humble in the presence of proper Gardeners.

      Delete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.