Thursday 19 January 2017

a duty of care

Ard Daraich, a pink house under a hillside.


A house enveloped by layers of garden so that you are not sure where the house ends and the garden begins.


A house lived in, filled with beautiful things, soft at the edges.


A house that taught me that it is the attention to comfort that makes guests feel at home : warm beds, crisp sheets, comfortable chairs, candles on the breakfast table, a log fire waiting for you at the end of the day.


A house with a guest book composed of the laughter of other people who have passed through.


I try to pinpoint what it was that I loved about Ard Daraich and I see Norrie in his striped pinafore making porridge for our breakfast - so perhaps it is not the beds or the log fire after all, but a feeling that you are being cared for, a rare thing indeed. 

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It really is a wonderful garden - winding up the hill - layers of stunning colour. There is a large camellia hedge which must be astonishing in spring.

      Delete
  2. I am trying to imagine a parallel universe with candles on the breakfast table. And nobody set fire to the newspaper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do people read newspapers at breakfast? Definitely not in our house - too antisocial - so candles it is.

      Delete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.