Friday 13 January 2017

MasterM : Officer

Just before Christmas we attended the Sovereign's Parade at Sandhurst. It was the culmination of a year of training when MasterM and his fellow Officer Cadets paraded before the Duchess of Cornwall, representative of the Queen. 


We sat in the stand and felt so many emotions:

Surprise that MasterM had ended up applying to join the Army. Relief that he had made it through a tough year where he was challenged physically and mentally. Joy that we could be there with his sister and grandparents to watch and applaud. Gratitude that Master has ended up in a place which uses his gifts and experience. Astonishment at the gold braid, flags, trumpets and pageantry.


Meanwhile...what was MasterM feeling?

Anxiety that we would accidentally step on his polished boots.


6 comments:

  1. Ha ha. Kids, hey?! I can only begin to imagine the mixed emotions of witnessing your son becoming an army officer. I've been reading all your recent posts, Alice – I'm so delighted you are blogging again. I intended to write a meaningful comment after reading 'extra-ordinary' but I couldn't find the right words. Suffice to say, you sound like an extremely competent, creative and intelligent woman and I am absolutely sure you will find 'your thing'. Writing perhaps? Sam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I am just going to hide behind the sofa while I recover from such lovely compliments but before I go I must insist that it is the readers that bring the sparkle to any blog. Also, as the mother of two school age sons, I'm going to warn you that the adventure is only just beginning.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Master M. I feel I have watched you grow up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first started writing he was still at school - such a long time ago and an Amazon's worth of water has flowed under the bridge since then!

      Delete
  3. Goodness, hasn't he brushed up well?

    Congratulations too. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All those years in board shorts and flip-flops and now this! It's a miracle!

      Delete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.