Tuesday 3 January 2017

pot pourri


Woman making potpourri
Herbert James Draper (1897)

It was a fallow year last year. The Garden and I came to an understanding that we both needed a rest. Perhaps some time apart. And so I got on with my job and looking after my family and going on assorted holidays with MrM while the Garden relaxed from the effects of constant supervision and became an eco-warrior, offering shelter to little creatures and nourishing victimised plant species. At the end of the period of separation I realised we needed professional help to rebuild our relationship so I employed the lovely Tracey who is a gardener of the Boot Camp variety. Now the Garden and I are looking stripped back, fighting fit and ready to start 2017. Fallow is so last year.

I can't promise regular and informative bulletins from the potting shed but if a sporadic scattering of the pot pourri of family life as seen from the comfort of my sofa appeals I think I can manage that.

5 comments:

  1. What a treat – how lovely to see a post from you while on my coffee break. Happy new year to you, Alice. I look forward to more pot pourri anon (or whenever). Sam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year right back to you. Thank you for all the lovely photos of the sea and I look forward very much to reading about your lavender this year.

      Delete
  2. What a sublime painting, thank you for that.

    It is so good to hear from you, you have been missed. I shall certainly look forward to a sporadic scattering, as you say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was thrilled to find something so appropriate for the post.

      Lovely to hear from you too - Happy New Year!

      Delete
  3. Oh good - I'll put you back in my Feedly.

    Beautiful woman, and glorious roses. I wonder if she is thinking - all in a day's work, and those thorns!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.